Thursday 5 January 2012

day 29 - food journal

aahh its killing me to posts todays food journal, but i am being true and have to do it.

i ate a turkish delight today, i had a choice and i chose to eat it, and believe me, i don't feel awesome for having it.  not that i'm beating myself up over it, but i actually don't feel well.  my head has been throbbing all afternoon and the huge spike in my energy, followed by a giant crash, that almost put me to sleep at my desk (sorry work).  just reminds me why i'm doing this.  i understand that i'm only human, and i'm going to slip up sometimes, i'm not perfect, but it's these little moments of weakness that remind me that what i'm doing 98% of the time is really doing me a lot of good.

i'm going to try to get in touch with a nutritionist friend of mine, who years ago lead me in the path of being a vegan and gave me a lot of great tips nutritionally.  i'm going to get her opinion on what i'm doing, and what i could be changing, adding, or taking away to make this much more beneficial for me.  (and i'll pass on some of her wisdom to you too)

i'm going to take you through my journal now and show you where i went wrong today.

breakfast - cup of hot water with lemon
(i got out of bed really late today and therefore i didn't have enough time for a decent breakfast.  last night i started a new book, which i fell asleep at about 11pm half way through a page... not enough sleep for starters and definitely not enough to eat for breakfast)
lunch - green olives (marinated ones from the deli)
mushrooms with fresh garlic and goats cheese
(i also didn't have enough time to pack lunch and i had bought some marinated olives from the deli yesterday as a treat to have a couple in the afternoon, however i ended up having these for lunch.  again really not enough and not a substantial amount of food for the day)
snacks - desperately hungry by now, and not thinking straight, i went to the shop, i bought a packet of gluten free cheesles and a turkish delight (i thought i was in the health food isle so those chips must be good for me... and i used to eat turkish delight a lot as i thought that it was the better choice over all the other chocolates...)  after devouring my turkish delight and half a packet of chips an hour later, i really wasn't feeling that great.  the on set of my "great decision" had kicked in, urgh.  anyway, one slip up and back on track now.
dinner - portabello mushrooms, stuffed with fresh garlic and goats cheese, a little salt and pepper seasoning.  


to make these, i preheated the oven to about 180 degrees.  i popped two of the mushrooms, with the stalks removed and the fresh garlic cloves smeared on the flesh, seasoned with salt and pepper, upside down in a baking tray with about 1 cm of water in the bottom, into the oven for about 10 - 15 mins.  once a little softer to touch, or a little shriveled up looking, i took them out and crumbled a little goats cheese on top of each and then placed back in the oven to melt the cheese a little.  delicious :)


if i can give you one tip for the day - if you ever feel as though you have slipped up, deal with it, accept that you've done it and move on.  it's only one slip up and its really not worth ruining all your hard work over.


NK x










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...